Monday, August 22, 2016

Genealogy Conferences, Workshops & Education

We are in the waning days of Summer... in fact, as I write this we are entering our final full week of August! Where, oh where, did the Summer go? If you are like me, it flew by with record breaking speed and you're left wondering not only where did the time go, but what did you do with it all?!

While these busy times of Summer were not a total loss for The Dead Relative Collector, as always I wish there were more things that had been accomplished. But we'll save the "review of Summer" for another posting... and instead focus on the post of this one.... Genealogy Education!

Yes, I know. I tout the virtues of furthering our education quite regularly... bear with me. 

We have 4 months left of 2016. [I know. WHERE did the time go?] And after some looking, there are still many genealogy conference & workshops left this year.

Next week is the 40th Anniversary Federation of Genealogical Societies annual conference, which is taking place in Springfield, Illinois. Even if you can't attend (it's getting late, I realize), check out the link as they also have the 2017 & 2018 conferences & it doesn't hurt to plan ahead! 

The National Genealogical Society has many upcoming events listed! This link will take you right to the events tab, but I encourage you explore the page and see what else they have to offer.

For you researchers residing in Minnesota, Iowa & Wisconsin (or anyone else willing to travel to the Minneapolis, MN metro area), tomorrow- August 23, is the last day for the early bird registration of the upcoming 9th Annual North Star Conference. I won't repeat what I've already said regarding the Conference, other than that I can't recommend it enough-- feel free to check out the posting I wrote last month regarding it!


Besides the large conferences, many smaller societies offer workshops & continuing education. Are you involved in any local genealogy groups? Often a simple Google search will do. 

An early posting I did regarding furthering our education is here, there are also a few other links to schedules there as well. Feel free to have a look see.

I'd suggest checking out/following the Southern California Genealogical Society 'jamboree Blog' as they offer many opportunities of continuing education & also have info about their 2017 jamboree!

And if you know about an upcoming workshop or conference, it's always important to spread the word & share the details. So often I hear folks lament, "If only I'd known about it"...

If you are a social media user, you can also share any events or items of interest with The Dead Relative Collector's Facebook page or with a Facebook group such as Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness, a group with over 23,000 members. There are so many different ways to spread the word!

So... what about you? How was your genealogical Summer?
Do you have any plans to participate in any genealogy activities this Fall?
Spread the word & Share the chance. Grab a genie pal and 'learn' something new! 
You'll be so glad you did

No comments:

Post a Comment