Wednesday, April 29, 2015

So I am NOT exactly who I thought I was...?

DNA...solving or creating mysteries?

So it seems I'm not exactly who I thought I was... How is that you ask? Well, I recently had my DNA tested--- and the results seem to show my family tree isn't exactly as I thought it was!
I'd heard rumblings over the years, regarding the possibility of some paternity issues in my pedigree. I dismissed them as unlikely and went about my research... though this possibility was always in the back of my head, as well as the identities of possible pedigree replacements.

Fast forward 20 years--- I have an ancestry DNA test done-- and SURPRISE! I have more than one match to descendants of one of my possible pedigree replacements... and as far as I can tell, no connections to anyone from the family I was expecting to.


I'm not going to lie, this has been disheartening. Not only because it seems I invested over two decades researching a family that's not mine, but because I considered it part of my identity. 


One bright spot is, this particular branch has been wrought with brick walls and dead ends. In all of my years of research, I've barely progressed beyond a couple of generations. Most of what I did find is pretty unremarkable, so I'm not missing out on too many amazing ancestors.

For the mean time this development is an asterisk in my genealogy research. I'm going to have a couple of other relatives tested and also have mine done again with another testing company, to help confirm what I already know. 


I certainly have plenty of other lines to research and projects to work on.


The disappointment I had at these results is fading--- I've processed this new piece of the puzzle and am ready to move forward. And see what other mysteries DNA may unlock for me!


What about you? Have you had any DNA surprises?

Has it solved or created mysteries?

10 comments:

  1. Nicholas,

    Interesting, do you care to expand on any of the details?

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Luke. It is a few generations removed from me, but there are still living people directly affected by this. I've yet to fully decide how/if I might divulge my findings.

      You know how tricky family secrets can be!

      Delete
  2. Isn't there still some of the husbands identity in the children that she raised using her name as a patronym?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry Nicholas. Something of this sort that messes with your identity can really rattle you. More than the "wasted" work ever could. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! Somehow I missed your note until today. I did really mess with my"identity" and also threw my genealogy into an upheaval. I hope to blog a little follow-up to it in the next couple of months. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Such an interesting story - but sad that it created chaos in your research. My husband's family always said they were Scottish (Stewart) but my research led to an Irish Stewart, 10 years ago. I threw away my research and was stumped. I had his DNA tested last year and he is 31% Irish with very little Scottish. Now I wish I hadn't thrown that research away...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked on my husband's line for a year. Not as long as you however. I hit a brick wall around revolutionary times. My husband had his Y-DNA tested only to find there was a non-parental event in the 1850s. I was able to identify possible "culprits". But it does knock the wind out of you and leaves you feeling lost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked on my husband's line for a year. Not as long as you however. I hit a brick wall around revolutionary times. My husband had his Y-DNA tested only to find there was a non-parental event in the 1850s. I was able to identify possible "culprits". But it does knock the wind out of you and leaves you feeling lost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your DNA NPE experience, Nick. Having had a similar family lore confirmed by DNA, I know how it can really take the wind out of your research sails. But hopefully you've caught your footing and are back on the trail - this time the right one. I did and feel much better about the research because I have the confidence I'm researching the correct genetic line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have researched my "new" family some, but not super extensively yet. After 20+ years of research, I have plenty of lines I'm pursuing. I'm somewhat limited in my public quest, because I've opted NOT to tell living members of the family what I have found out... not while certain elderly kin who are directly impacted are still living anyway. My actual story is pretty interesting, but alas, not for public publishing as of yet. Initially it was very disappointing, as I'm sure you can related to. But I've recovered and am plugging along.

      Delete