Friday, July 5, 2013

Philia (or Sophia) Beach... Who Were You?

Philia (or Sophia) Beach was born circa 1806, possibly in Connecticut. She was married on 27 July 1825, to James I. Pierce, in Middletown, CT. James is the son of John Pierce & Abigail Stow, who were old New England stock of well researched family lines.
Philia Beach Pierce
Moodus Cemetery
 
In their early married years, it appears they lived in the Hebron (Tolland Co).... as that is where some of their children are said to have been born... I can't find them in any census records until 1850, when they are living in Colchester (New London Co) with their family.
 
By 1870 they were living in Moodus (Middlesex Co), and James died in 1877. Philia continue to live on until she died in 1885. 

So far, I haven't been able to find anything on her past the 1870 census, and then her buial in the Moodus Cemetery.
 
According to an obituary for Philia's daughter, there were 6 daughters & 2 sons in the family.... The childen I know of include: Ellen Barber, Phila Pierce, Lucy Lathrop, Eliza Maine, Mary Bullock, Timothy C., and two other children... possibly Charles & Marion... but I am not sure.
 
Who was Philia/Sophia Beach?
Like many female ancestors in my pedigree, I have little to no information on her. After researching a number of New England Beach Families, I've been unable to find her anywhere. Some ancestry trees show her the daughter of Thaddeus Beach, but it appears that Philia died as a young girl.... So she can't be the Philia Beach who married James I. Pierce, and therefore my Philia Beach can not be the daughter of Thaddus, like some incorrect trees proclaim.  It is also tricky, because sometimes she is listed as Sophia and other times as Philia or Philia S.  I'm not sure if the Philia is a nickname of sorts for Sophia?  One more piece to the puzzle.
 
I'd love to find some descendants of Philia and anyone with knowledge of the Beach family... I'd love to get this new branch growing!

2 comments:

  1. I Had a relative in fairmont minn who told me two hours or more worth of family names with associations. Not always who they relate to or where they lived, and i would not have remembered anyway. But Beach was a name I do remember. Crosby was another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Had a relative in fairmont minn who told me two hours or more worth of family names with associations. Not always who they relate to or where they lived, and i would not have remembered anyway. But Beach was a name I do remember. Crosby was another.

    ReplyDelete