Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Lost Bible... Amund Olesen Flo of Rapidan, Minnesota

I purchased this Norwegian[?] bible at an auction recently.
There was so much writing in the front & back covers that I had to rescue this book, since it went for only $15.00.


**According to a response from Cliff posted below, this appears to be a bible belonging to the family of Amund Olesen Flo, who was from the Stryn Parish in Sogn og Fjordane, Norway.  By 1900 they were residing near Rapidan, in Blue Earth County, MN. See the below comment section for the rest of what Cliff had to say.

Of course, I don't understand Norwegian... so I can't really make out any of the information that's written... I'd love to reunite this book with a family member!

Or if anyone out there can read the pages... it'd be great to have a translation of what is written


 [update- It would appear that this is actually in Norwegian, not Danish, as I originally thought... or was told at the auction. I have made a few updates to this post to reflect the information I received from Cliff, below]

***Update- 2014, this bible was reunited with a Flo descendant living near the original Flo home in Norway***

13 comments:

  1. This appears to be a Bible that belonged to the family of Amund Olesen Flo from Stryn parish in Sogn og Fjordane, Norway. The family emigrated from Norway in 1881 and 1882 after first moving to Møre og Romsdal. In 1900 they are in Rapidan Twp, Blue Earth, Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cliff! I greatly appreciate your efforts! Hopefully someday, I will be able to reunite this bible with a family member who would treasure it.

      Delete
    2. Do you still have this bible, Nicholas?

      Delete
  2. I believe I know whose this was, I am looking into it. I think that it belonged to an elderly cousin of mine whom I visited quite a few years in MN. Please don't give it up until I get back with you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have the bible... hoping to find some relative who will take it and treasure it.

      Delete
  3. I know a lot about this family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I bet you do. Is it possibly your family? I am traveling and can't get to my research until I get home. I would love to know more.

      Delete
    2. Trond, do you know any members of this family?

      Delete
  4. Hi from Sol. I have found the great greatgrandcildren to Jørgen Oleson Flo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was this Bible originally purchased at an auction near Luverne, MN? I might have connections.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in Minnesota and think this is a great great grandparent. I would like to discuss more offline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This bible was purchased in Mankato, MN. I'm not sure where the estate came from. It has since been returned to a relative in Norway. Contact the Trond Flo above for more information

      Delete